Wednesday 21 May 2014

Ear pointing 101- My Experience

( Disclaimer- i am NOT a professional. This is all personal experience! please consult a professional for further information)


My experience 

So yeah as you can imagine Elf ears are actually a thing and becoming massively popular in the last few years!
Back in 2012 i think it was after i had my tongue split i began thinking about new mods as you do!
I dont even know how or why it popped up...
Maybe its just because i was taking more notice of the Modification industry?

As i fell in love i began my search to find out more information...
Although strangely youtube was pretty empty when it came to ear pointing...
I remember reading bits and pieces here and there on different sites, getting as much knowledge as i could about it!
I felt ready and contacted Paddy at Bodyalter in worksop
( obviously many artists do this procedure But go with someone you know is experienced and you feel comfortable with ! )

Many artists also do the procedure quite differently so it would be good idea to talk to the artist about this!


I had my fist points shortly after.




They were very natural looking, which i loved so much. The response from this image was amazing!
After i while though, as i started seeing more and more lovely ladies with pointed ears are wanted them pointy and more extreme.

So after around a year i went back!
I think it might of being Febuary this year and it went so much easier and i knew exactly what to expect and how to look after them even better!
This time i had stictches i had to take out myself where as last time i had soluble stitches which didn't last very long at all.


So here a pictures from my recent pointing-

These are my ears a few days after the ponting. The stitches stayed in for around a month


Nearly healed! Well mostly healed i just have a tiny bit of redness from the stitches still!



The procedure 

As stated above, Artists have various ways of shaping the ear. 
Its a good thing to talk to the artist about and researching before going ahead!
As for my ears, a small triangle shape was removed from the tops of my ears and then stitched back into a point where they healed!

As you can imagine its a pretty painful thing to have done and some artists will offer anesthetic.
But saying you might have some pain relief does not make it pain free at all .
You can hear and feel every cut and stitch.
So please dont ask if its painful. Everyone you ask will say yes.


Healing/Aftercare

The best advice and most important is DO NOT SLEEP ON THEM 

The Artist will tell you this straight away!
As for me i learnt from my first experience.
I didnt get used to sleeping on my back so tosses and turned alot and ended up sleeping on them quite a bit.
What you need is this!

A fellow pointy ear friend told me about this before getting them re-pointed.
And boy its a life saver.
It basically makes you sleep on your back and not let you ears come into contact with your pillow.
Its quite uncomfortable to sleep with but its a must!

Its also advised not to wash your hair or let them get wet in the first week or too.
Dry shampoo is the savoir here!

As you can imagine you want to keep them as clean as possible and its best to use salt water once the first week has past.
( sea salt not table salt!)

All the other stuff-


Cost- This totally depends on who you go with and where you live.
It can cost anything from £150- £1500

Here are some pictures of other pointy eared folk-





Pictures from BME or Google image search.

Other information sites-

BME is a very resourceful website for images and information-


Also youtubes such are Melynda Moon have made people more aware of it ^-^




Youtube has a tone of other videos about ear pointing now too!





Some other points of interest-

My procedure lasted about 3 hours

Sometimes you get to keep your ear parts! I have my ears and my nostril punches in the freezer!


They are very easy to hide ( especially if you have long hair ) for Jobs etc


As far as im aware they do not effect your hearing ;)


You do need to clean inside you ear tip, just with a cotton bud.

IF you have any questions or feel i have left out information please let me know! 







1 comment:

  1. I have a couple of questions: how did you cope with pain during the length of the ops? Was this the most painful of your modifications?
    I'm hoping to have my ears pointed this year after researching for many years, & I'd like to talk to someone in England who has done this :)
    Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete